You can download the GeoNet earthquake application for your Android phone at the Google Play Marketplace.
If you have an iPhone or iPad you can download our app at the iTunes store
Many browsers provide feed reading capabilities e.g., live bookmarks in Mozilla Firefox. If you prefer a desktop feed reader there are many available. We use Liferea and RSSOwl. Liferea is particularly nice as it will render spatial elements in feeds as interactive maps.
If you choose to use the RSS feeds programmatically then bear in mind there are nine incompatible RSS formats and the feeds provide no guarantee about the specification they contain - this is usually handled by the client interpreting the name space in the feed. A good option is to be able convert them to another format to help make tracking changes simpler. The Rome project provides tools for doing this and a good explanation of the complexity of RSS.
Note that we cannot provide support for Liferea, RSSOwl, Rome or any other feed readers; please use the forums of the reader you choose for any support questions.
The following RSS feeds are available. They are updated every time there is new content for them. This can vary from daily to yearly!
- Felt Quakes: feed of latest potentially felt earthquakes
- All Quakes: feed of all latest earthquakes
- Volcanic Alert Levels: feed of current New Zealand Volcanic Alert Levels
- Aviation Colour Codes: feed of current New Zealand Aviation Colour Codes
- Volcanic Alert Bulletins: feed of latest Volcanic Alert Bulletins
- News: feed that is a combined list with both GeoNet news articles and Volcanic Alert Bulletins