Processed strong-motion data
The entire New Zealand collection of processed strong-motion data is available from:
or you may just wish to view the summary spreadsheets.
It includes accelerograms and response spectra from both current and obsolete recorders. Description of their processing and formats are to be found at:
- Accelerogram Data Filenames and Formats
- Response Spectra Data Filenames and Formats
- Processing Stages of Strong-Motion Data
- The New Zealand Strong-Motion Database
Descriptions of site conditions may be found in ftp.geonet.org.nz/strong/processed/Docs/site subsurface information.xls.
Worldwide strong-motion data resources are centralised at the COSMOS Virtual Data Center. This gives access to a database of strong ground motion data parameters, and links to the data centres and web sites of the contributing agencies.
New Zealand's current strong-motion network is instrumented with:
- Kinemetrics Etna and Kinemetrics Basalt accelerographs in the National Strong Ground Motion Network.
- CSI CUSP-3 instruments in regional strong-motion networks.
- CSI CUSP-M instruments in structures and buildings.
Raw data files from strong-motion recorders
Raw data files are available from ftp.geonet.org.nz/strong/raw, specifically:
Data are organised into yearly directories, and within each year into ordinal date directories. The four-character station codes may be viewed on the network maps, and the site locations and operational dates may be found in DELTA. The data holdings are updated every hour with recent files received from our network. Please note that they may include data from non-seismic sources, such as bumps and electrical interference.
Links to manufacturer's software for strong-motion recorders
Software and guides for manipulating and decoding raw data are available from the manufacturers: